Sesame Oil Chicken 麻油鸡 (Ma You Ji)
Sesame oil chicken is a delicious and easy recipe that fills the kitchen with, what I would describe as, a homey aroma. The ingredient list is simple; comprised of items that most people already have in their pantry, and the method is really easy and fast.
For reasons I don’t really understand, the Chinese and Taiwanese like to serve this dish to new mothers during the confinement month after birth. Apparently, ginger and sesame oil are “heaty” ingredients that help new mothers recover after child birth. My response? ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I just think it’s delicious.
3 large chicken drumsticks (chopped into 3 pieces each)
3” knob of ginger, sliced
2 tbsp of sesame oil
1 ½ tbsp of soy sauce
½ tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine
½ cup of water
Dash of white pepper powder (optional)
1. Heat wok over high heat. Add sesame oil and ginger slices. Stir fry until the ginger is fragrant.
2. Add the chopped chicken drumsticks and stir fry for 15 seconds. Pour in the soy sauce, oyster sauce and Shaoxing wine mixture. Continue to stir fry until the chicken is 80% cooked.
3. Stir in water and cover with a lid. Lower the heat and let the chicken steam cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Remove the lid and turn up the heat. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened.
5. Garnish with chopped scallions. Enjoy warm!
If you would like a little bit of spice to the dish, mix in a few dashes of white pepper right at the end.
“Waveform Editor” by Hella Maker