Kale and Spinach are two powerful green super-foods that you’ll often find as key ingredients in green smoothie recipes.
However, it’s often the case that it’s inconvenient to keep a fresh supply of these leafy greens in the fridge. Unless you use them steadily, kale and spinach can both get slimly or at worst, spoil.
Our solution to this is inspired by Lisa’s Freezer Smoothies over at thetidynest.com.
The solution, is to create frozen green-superfood-infused frozen cubes that can be added to any of your smoothie recipe to add in a quick nutrition boost (and to get the added benefit of a colder smoothie!!). Since the green smoothie cubes can be stored for a long period of time without losing the nutritional value of the Kale and Spinach, your smoothie ingredient dollars will hopefully go a lot further!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– Fresh Kale and Spinach (preferably organic)
– An Ice Cube Tray or Non-stick muffin trays
– A Few Freezer bags
– (Optionally) A green superfood booster product such as Sun Warrior Ormus Supergreens, etc
Follow these 12 Easy Steps:
1. Purchase a bundle each of Kale and Spinach (organic if you able to afford it). If you want, you can add in some additional greens such as Beet Greens or Arugula.
2. De-stem the Kale and Spinach and wash the leaves thoroughly.
3. (Optionally) Add in a Green Superfood Powder such as Sun Warrior Ormus Supergreens
4. Place all the leaves in your blender
5. Fill with 2 cups of water for your liquid (or coconut water, green tea, or fresh squeezed veggie juice)
6. Blend all the materials until it becomes a smooth pulp.
7. Pour into your ice cube tray or non-stick muffin trays.
8. Place into freezer; Freeze until solid.
9. Pop out each of the green smoothie pucks/cubes (use a table knife if they are stuck)
10. Put the green cubes into the freezer bag and seal.
11. Place the sealed bag back into the freezer for storage
12. Whenever you feel like an organic green super-food boost, simply throw in 1-3 of these frozen green smoothie cubes into your favourite smoothie recipe.
Enjoy and be healthy!
Blender used here is the Breville BBL605XL Hemisphere Control Blender (More details at http://amzn.to/YYfdyG)
For more details on my favourite smoothie supplements please visit: http://bit.ly/152slK1
Check out all our blender suggestions at: http://simplysmoothierecipes.com/get-started/smoothie-blenders-and-resources/smoothie-blender-recommendations/